Thursday, June 11, 2009

Prize Basket


Here are the prizes currently in the basket that you, yes you! could win. I lovely skein of hand spun merino silk yarn, a four ounce skein of fingering weight yarn, a circular knitting needle case from Lantern Moon, and a bundle of lavender sachets. Not pictured is a copy of An Omnibus plus a skein of yarn to knit the pattern that is included.

After looking at the prize basket I thought it was a little empty. So I've added a skein of fingering weight yarn to dye for the winner. You tell me about your favorite colors and I'll dye it for you! Your choice of yarn includes super wash merino, merino/bamboo, or merino/tencel. For every $5 you donate to Take Steps your name will be entered into a drawing. If you donate $25, your name is entered 5 times!! Just click on the button that says Support Lorajean Now! and donate away.

I'm doing the walk because Crohn's Disease affects my family's life directly. My husband, E, has Crohn's disease. I am not a fan of the disease. E is in good health compared to a lot of people with the disease. He hasn't had a surgery to remove intestines in close to 20 years. Right now he is having a flair up. His diet is incredibly limited, it is really hard to walk through grocery stores and look at all the food you can't eat. It is also difficult to have a stomach ache every time you eat. Research is making a difference though. This is an autoimmune disease, an inflammatory one. Researchers are finding new treatments to keep the inflammation down as well as treat other issues that arise with an autoimmune disorder. Money raised from this walk will help continue research.

Donated money will also go to supporting kids going to a camp in Northern California that is focused on youth with Crohn's or Colitis. I can only imagine what a retreat this is for youth. Not being able to eat the same as your peers is an incredibly isolating experience. Being surrounded by kids who have been through similar circumstances and getting to participate in normal camp activities is a great releif!

I could go on and on about this topic, but I'll stop. Thank you so much in advance for donating if you are able to. The contest will close Saturday, June 20th at 11am. The winners will be chosen and announced June 21st.

I'm going out of town this weekend to round up some donation in one of my hometowns. I'll be back next week. Hope you have a great week end.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are walking this year! I wish I could join you, but I'll be telling everyone about the contest:)

    ReplyDelete